Hello friends! I wanted to share these costumes I made for my boyfriend and I’s couples costume for Halloween this year!
I painted our faces myself after watching a couple of tutorials on Youtube for women’s sugar skull make up and men’s skull makeup (my boyfriend wasn’t really into the whole flowery sugar skull style of decoration so I went with something more scary for him).
Some of the tutorials I found went into a lot of detail so I simplified them a little bit, especially since I had to do both of our faces and didn’t want to spend hours on it when we could be hanging out with our friends.
I used black and white face paint for both and then added some colour to my own using some cheap dollar store eyeshadow.
For our costumes I used the following materials:
Sugar Skull Girl Costume:
- dollar store flowers (choose any colour combination you like, I went with orange and cream)
- dollar store make up (brightly coloured eye shadow palette)
- plastic headband (matched to hair colour)
- glue gun to glue the flowers to the headband and around the middle of the dress
- a cheap black dress from Forever 21 that was starting to pill so I was ok with re-purposing it
- lace t-shirt (worn underneath the dress)
- skeleton tights (not shown)
- dollar store skull earrings
- black boots or shoes
- could also add some lace gloves but I didn’t have time to pick up any
Men’s Skeleton Costume:
- plain black t-shirt
- white acrylic paint and paintbrush
- this rib-cage pattern from Martha Stewart (front part only) – cut out the holes with an exacto knife to create a stencil to sketch out the outlines for the rib-cage on the front of the black t-shirt. Remove the stencil and fill in thickly with white paint. Make sure to place cardboard inside the t-shirt so the paint doesn’t come through to the other side. Let dry for 24 hours before wearing.
- black top hat from the dollar store
- black blazer or jacket
- dark coloured pants or jeans
For both costumes:
- black and white face paint
- a set of cheap paintbrushes to apply the face paint, especially details
This type of Halloween costume seemed to be pretty popular this year but I thought ours were some of the better ones I saw around!
Anyways, I hope you all have a fun-filled Halloween. Then it will be time to get ready for the Holidays!